Wednesday, September 17, 2008

This Is Cool :: Stanza



Stanza from Lexcycle is an app for the iPhone that works in conjunction with a desktop client... its designed for reading and supports
...HTML, PDF, Microsoft Word, and Rich Text Format reading, as well as all the major eBook standards: unprotected Amazon Kindle and Mobipocket, Microsoft LIT, Palm doc, and the International Digital Publishing Forum's new epub Open eBook standard.
Why does it interest me?

It allows me to read pdf files like the one featured in the pic above (the first chapter from Reimagining Church) offline... without my MacBook. I like printing articles to keep as peedefs for reference down the line... and Stanza allows me to read them on the go.

Personally I would have thought having a peedef reader on the iPhone would have made sense... but there isn't one... so I have to reach out to a third party app... and in doing so... I get so much more.

Don''t get me wrong, however... I haven't thrown out all my books. This doesn't replace books... but enhances my on the go experience. I can't get my head around eReaders. They are not the same as iPods... because with an iPod I could digitise my CD collection and store it on the wee white box. eReaders don't allow you to digitise your collection... so you will be paying a second time for a book you already own... and you can't buy a used file in a second hand shop either.

Stanza is worth checking out whether or not you have an iPhone... it works with the Kindle too (hands up who has one of those???) and on your computer (Windows & Mac).

This is a piece of software worth keeping a watching brief on... Check it out.

Picture posted with LifeCast... text updated later.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails